Passport - How to obtain a passport
A passport is a document which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder. When you travel directly between Greenland and Denmark and no further, you do not need a passport. You can also use your passport as identification when you contact the local authorities.
If you want a new passport or renew your old one, e.g. if you have lost your passport, it is about to expire, or you have changed your name, you must contact your local police station in person. In Nuuk you must contact the service section at the police station, which is based on the first floor.
Since January 1st 2012 it is required that all persons at the age of 12 and above have their fingerprints scanned when they apply for a passport. Your fingerprint will be scanned at the police station. Passports without fingerprints that have been issued prior to January 1st 2012 are still eligible as long as they are valid.
When you contact the police station you need to bring:
- A completed passport application form. Passport application form (in Danish)
- Your old passport, if you have one
- If you do not have a passport, you need to bring an original certificate of baptism, name certificate or birth certificate
- Documentation of your name. This is only necessary if you have changed your name recently, e.g. if you have changed your name upon marriage
- A suitable passport photo. Be aware that the photo has to meet several requirements. Passport photo requirements (in Danish)
- If you have lost your valid passport you need to complete and bring with you, a statement on lost passports. Statement on lost passport (in Danish)
The passport is manufactured in Denmark and thereafter sent to Greenland. Therefore it takes approximately 3 weeks from the time you submit your passport application until you can pick up your new passport at your local police station. Be aware that delivery time is also weather dependent.
So be sure to apply in good time.
Validity of the passport
Passports have a limited validity, which depends on your age at the time your passport is issued:
- If you are 18 or older your passport is valid for 10 years from the date of issue
- If you are between 2 and 18, it is valid for 5 years from the date of issue
- If the passport is issued to a child under the age of 2 it is valid for 2 years from the date of issue
Make sure you renew your passport when it expires.
The passport fee depends on your age:
- Passport fee for adults over the age of 65 is 150 DKK
- Passport fee for adults between the age of 18 and 65 is 400 DKK
- Passport fee for persons under the age of 18 is 115 DKK
You must pay the fee when you submit your passport application at your local police station. The police stations in Qaqortoq, Nuuk, Sisimiut, Aasiaat and Ilulissat accept credit cards. Other places you are required to pay in cash.