Passport - Passport for children
If you are under the age of 18, and want a new passport or renew you old one, you must contact your local police station in person accompanied by one of your parents. In Nuuk you need to contact the service section of the police station, which is based on the 1st floor.
Since January 1st 2012 it is required that all persons at the age of 12 and above have their fingerprints scanned when they apply for a passport. Your fingerprint will be scanned at the police station. Passports without fingerprints that have been issued prior to January 1st 2012 are still eligible as long as they are valid.
When you contact the police station you need to bring:
- A completed passport application form. Passport application form (in Danish)
- Your old passport, if you have one
- If you do not have a passport, you need to bring an original certificate of baptism, name certificate or birth certificate
- Documentation of your name. This is only necessary if your name has recently been changed
- A suitable passport photo. Be aware that the photo has to meet several requirements. Passport photo requirements (in Danish)
- If you have lost your valid passport you need to complete and bring with you, a statement on lost passports. Statement on lost passport (in Danish)
Parents or guardians have to give consent, before children under 18 can get a passport. The police may require that parents or guardians submit documentation of legal guardianship. This also applies if one person declares to have sole guardianship.
To give consent parents or guardians must sign section C of the passport application form.
You can obtain a passport for your unnamed child. Be aware tough that several countries, e.g. USA, cannot guarantee unnamed children permission to enter the country. If you plan to go abroad with your unnamed child you ought to clear this matter with the embassy of the country in question.
The passport is manufactured in Denmark and thereafter sent to Greenland. Therefore it takes approximately 3 weeks from the time you submit your passport application until you can pick up your new passport at your local police station. Be aware that delivery time is also weather dependent.
So be sure to apply in good time.
Validity of the passport
Passports have a limited validity, which depends on your age at the time your passport is issued.
- If you are between 2 and 18, it is valid for 5 years from the date of issue
- If the passport is issued to a child under the age of 2 it is valid for 2 years from the date of issue
Make sure you renew your passport when it expires.
Passport fee for persons under the age of 18 is 115 DKK.
You must pay the fee when you submit your passport application at your local police station. The police stations in Qaqortoq, Nuuk, Sisimiut, Aasiaat and Ilulissat accept credit cards. Other places you are required to pay in cash.